8/2/12

Apple Crumb Cake


I was at my friends house this past week end. They have a apple tree in the back and I took some home. I wasn't sure what to make and while searching online this morning i came across this recipe. I did change it some to my liking. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It would be great with a cuppa coffee or tea.
~~HAPPY BAKING~~


INGREDIENTS


4 to 5 medium or small apples - about 4 cups worth of peeled, cored and cut up  apples,  but you can do it with a bit more or less
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup melted butter

DIRECTIONS



Preheat oven to 350° F.
Grease a standard square cake pan ( 8" x 8" x 2") with butter.


Sift the flour and baking powder together, and mix in the granulated sugar. Add the milk, beaten egg and melted butter. Mix together just until there are no huge lumps. Pour into the pan.


Pour the apples on top of the cake batter. Sprinkle the top with the crumb mixture. ( Below)

CRUMB MIXTURE


3/4 cup of sugar,or light brown sugar or half and half
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Make the crumb mixture: add butter, add the flour, sugar and cinnamon, and mix well until it become crumble.  ( I use my hand to mix it up)

Bake for about 40 minutes. 

Cut into squares. Serve warm plain or with powdered sugar or a scoop of ice cream. You can nuke this to warm it up . Also nice at room temperature.

No comments: