Pre Heat Oven 375'
Pie Dough for one double crust
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt.
- Grate or cut in shortening with two forks or a pie cutter, until shortening is very small pieces.
- Add water and stir dough until it begins to come together. Using your hands quickly and as little as possible pull the dough together and turn out onto a lightly floured counter. Pull together into a ball. Divide into two and lightly flatten each piece.
- Sprinkle counter with flour and roll out one piece of dough to fit into pie shell.
- For top crust, either roll out another solid piece of dough and use as a complete top crust or roll out and cut into 3/4" strips. Once you have your filling (recipe below) in the pie, lay and weave the strips under and over each other.
**I often will use real butter and rub my pie plate as this helps to give a very flaky bottom crust**
- 6 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Peel and slice fresh peaches.
- Beat egg until frothy and fold into peaches.
- Stir together remaining ingredients and gently stir into peach and egg mixture.
- Place mixture into prepared pie crust and top with upper crust as a whole crust or lattice as shown. (you can now brush with a little milk or cream and sprinkle with coarse or regular sugar)
- Bake in 375ºF oven for 55-60 minutes or until pie filling is bubbly and crusts are golden brown. Make sure you check to see that the bottom and top crust are baked. Nothing worse than a soggy bottom crust. That is why it's good to use a clear glass pie plate so you can really see your crust.